ChinaIntelligence focuses on providing business, transaction and investment advice on China. Our expertise is based on many years of hands-on work experience in industrial companies, financial institutions and investment management companies both in China and in Western markets.
Dr. Joachim Rudolf
First he was involved in business in China as CFO of Europe’s biggest healthcare-focused private equity investor. Then he experienced the day-to-day business environment in China up close as CFO of a domestic Chinese industrial company headquartered in Shanghai with factories in two different provinces in China. Locations: Zürich and China.
- Doctorate in business administration from the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland
- Visited China for the first time in 1995
- International banking and investment management career with UBS in Zurich, New York, San Francisco and London, in the end as managing director with responsibilities for all investment products and services for domestic clients in UBS Private Banking in Europe outside of Switzerland
- CFO of the Swiss-Exchange-listed private equity company HBM Healthcare AG since its foundation in 2001 until 2011; led the project to establish an investment advisory organisation in China for private equity investments in the healthcare sector
- CFO of the domestic Chinese industrial biotechnology company Cathay Industrial Biotech Ltd. from 2011 to 2014, residing and working in Shanghai
- Founder of ChinaIntelligence
- Member of the Board of the Swiss-Chinese Chamber of Commerce
- Speaks Mandarin (HSK 4)
As China correspondent of Switzerland’s pre-eminent financial newspaper «Finanz und Wirtschaft», based in Shanghai, she gained comprehensive insights into macroeconomic issues, the China businesses of large international corporations and government policy issues. Locations: Zürich and China.
- Masters degree in econometrics and economics at the University of Zurich, Switzerland
- First study trip to China in 1986
- Lecturer on economics and financial mathematics for courses for banking professionals and CFA and FRM candidates
- Responsible for the investment communication on discretionary products at UBS, Wealth Management and Business Banking, Zurich from 2004 to 2008
- Editor and department head of Switzerland’s pre-eminent financial newspaper «Finanz und Wirtschaft» from 2008 to 2012
- China correspondent for «Finanz und Wirtschaft» in Shanghai from 2012 to 2014
- Co-founder of ChinaIntelligence
- Economic writer, author, founder and owner of «From facts to stories»
- Speaks Mandarin (HSK 3)
Dr. Hong Li
After studies at the Tsing Hua University in Beijing, master & doctorate degrees in Norway and post-doc studies in the US, he worked as a senior economist for the World Bank, as a department head for McKinsey Greater China and as a private equity investor in China. He led many comprehensive market studies in China, and has successfully implemented many financing and acquisition transactions for Chinese companies. Location: Beijing.
- Bachelor Degree of construction engineering, Tsing Hua University in Beijing; Master & Doctorate in economics of the Norwegian University of Economics; post-doc studies at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles
- Senior economist at the World Bank in China and at Statoil in Norway
- Department head of McKinsey & Company in Greater China
- Independent financial consultant in China with responsibilities for a number of company financings and acquisitions
- Private equity fund manager since 2007, first with the HBM China Biotech fund, then with CHM Investment Company; management of investments and many different business projects for portfolio companies
The molecular biologist and engineer, educated in Shanghai and Singapore, first worked in the research departments of pharma and biotechnology companies. Thereafter she took over responsibilities for business projects and the management of the portfolio of intellectual property of a high tech company. She covered various topics regarding China’s economy as assistant to a European media correspondent for China. Location: Shanghai.
- Process Engineer in the Shijiazhuang Pharmaceutical Group from 1995 to 1999
- Master of Engineering in thermo-physics from the University of Shanghai for Science and Technology
- Master of Science in molecular engineering of biological & chemical systems from the National University of Singapore, Singapore-MIT Alliance Programme
- R&D engineer from 2004 to 2008, and senior technical assistant to the CEO from 2009 to 2011 at Cathay Industrial Biotech, Shanghai; currently working to optimize the intellectual property portfolio of Cathay Industrial Biotech
- Assistant to the China correspondent of «Finanz und Wirtschaft» in Shanghai from 2012 to 2014